Do you love the smell of just-cooked pancakes?
Do you love pancakes? We bet everyone likes them.
We are sure that you already had tried many recipes. Found the most suitable for your taste and you start wondering if you can give a little amount of it to your puppy.
So, here we are! We will answer completely to this question.
Can dogs eat pancakes?
Yes, they can.
When and how they can consume pancakes?
Only occasionally and pancakes should be plain, without added syrup or any other toppings.
You can add decoration fruits such as bananas, blueberries, and peanut butter.
Can Dogs Eat Pancakes: Important Things to Consider Before Giving Pancakes
Pancakes aren’t the healthiest option for dogs, but they still can have them occasionally and in small amounts.
Why are not they the healthiest option?
Well, pancakes are high in carbohydrates and sugar. Big amounts can harm dogs.
You should avoid giving pancakes to your furry pet if the dog has lactose intolerance or it’s allergic to wheat or grains. Or you should change these ingredients with better ones.
Can Dogs Eat Pancakes: Symptoms to Look For
If your dog is lactose intolerant but still had a pancake that contains milk, you can expect symptoms such as bloating, diarrhea, or vomiting.
If your dog had pancake that contains wheat and it’s allergic to it, then you can see these symptoms:
If your dog has a pancake with syrup that contains xylitol, it can experience some of these symptoms:
- Pale gums.
You should consult with your vet immediately if any symptoms show up!
Can Dogs Eat Pancakes: Nutrition Facts
Can Dogs Eat Pancakes: Conclusion
In conclusion to the question “Can dogs eat pancakes”, we stay behind our words that dogs can eat pancakes.
But in different situations with different ingredients.
If your dog is lactose intolerant, make it without milk.
If your dog has some wheat allergies, skip this ingredient.
If your dog has diabetes, it’s best to cut the additional sugar in its diet, but you can try and give your pet some kind of salty pancake with cucumber.
And no matter even if your dog is completely healthy, make sure that pancakes are plain, without any syrups, vanilla extract, or toppings.
Can Dogs Eat Pancakes: Dog-Friendly Recipes
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour;
- 3 1⁄2 tsp baking powder;
- 1 tsp salt;
- 1 tbsp sugar;
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk;
- 1 egg;
- 3 tbsp butter, melted;
- Dog bone cookie cutter (metal);
- Cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour milk, butter, and egg into the center of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Heat griddle or skillet to 375°F/ 190°C degrees (medium-high).
- Spray cookie cutter with cooking spray and place on griddle.
- Pour in just enough pancake batter to cover the inside of the cookie cutter.
- Carefully remove the cookie cutter before flipping the pancakes.
Dog-Friendly Banana Pancakes
Servings: 4 small pancakes
- Mash the banana in a bowl, then add the whisked egg and oat milk. Mix all the ingredients using a hand blender.
- Add the flour and mix well. Alternatively, you can put all the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Add a small amount of oil to a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 4 tablespoons or a ladle of the mixture into the pan to make one pancake.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until bubbles start to form on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
Can Dogs Eat Pancakes: FAQs
Can dogs eat pancakes with syrup?
It’s better to skip the syrup because already pancakes have enough fats and sugar. You should avoid giving syrups that contain xylitol because it’s toxic to dogs.
As you might know, sugar is an enemy of dogs.
Syrups are high in sugar and they can cause diabetes.
Can dogs eat banana pancakes?
Yes, they can. Bananas are safe for dogs. Banana pancakes are good for dogs if they eat them rarely.
Can dogs eat blueberry pancakes?
Yes, they can. Blueberries are safe for your four-legged friend.
Can dogs eat protein pancakes?
Yes, they can eat any kind of protein pancakes, except the ones with pea protein.
Pea protein should be avoided because it is definitely linked to heart disease (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy).
Can dogs eat vanilla pancakes?
No, dogs can’t eat vanilla pancakes or any other kind of pancake that contains vanilla extract.
Vanilla extract is dangerous for dogs because contains around 35% ethanol.
Ethanol is toxic to dogs because it’s a type of alcohol.
Can Dogs Eat Pancakes: 11 Interesting Facts For Pancakes
- The first pancakes were fried concoctions called Alita Dolcia (“another sweet” in Latin) and were made by Romans in the 1st Century AD.
- William Shakespeare liked pancakes, often mentioning them in his plays.
- The record for the highest pancake toss is 9.47m (31ft 1in) made in New York in 2010.
- The giant pancake in the world weighed 6,614 pounds and was over 49 feet in diameter.
- The Guinness World Record for the most pancakes served in 8 hours by a team is 34,818.
- The Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotel’s five-star Opus restaurant makes the world’s most expensive pancakes. Their pancakes have pink champagne, lobster, truffles, and caviar. The dish costs $1,166 per serving.
- In China, pancakes are made with dough instead of batter.
- The French make a wish before flipping their pancakes. They flip the pancake with one hand and hold a coin in the other.
- Pancake syndrome is an allergic reaction that some people have after eating pancakes in tropical regions where certain mites can contaminate the flour in pancakes.
- Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is the traditional feast day before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday. The date varies from year to year and falls between February 3 and March 9.
- September 26 is the year’s second National Pancake Day!
Did you find the information you were searching for?
Let us know if you want us to answer another question connected with pancakes, or if there is any other food you are wondering about.