Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
Yes, dogs can definitely eat broccoli.
A dog’s diet is not that simple, and an overdose of anything is not right.
Dogs shall not be fed with Brocolli as their only diet.
Being a dog lover, you might be worried about the salads with Broccoli, Broccoli, and fish, or whatever questions you have in your mind.
Your most Frequently Asked Questions on the query: Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
Can dogs eat broccoli every day?
Yes, your dog can eat broccoli every day.
Dogs can eat both raw and cooked broccoli.
You should be careful about adding seasonings or oils to the dog’s intake. However, the intake should be in small quantities because fiber present in broccoli can cause gas and bloat.
Is broccoli good for dogs? Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
Yes, broccoli is good for dogs to eat.
It is very nutritious and safe but if your dog has never had it, then you need to give in small portions to avoid stomach problems.
Brocolli constitutes of 2 parts:
It contains small molecules called Isothiocyanate that is present in other vegetables too. Isothiocyanate is responsible for gastric issues in your dog too and shall be given in small amounts.
- Broccoli stalks
This is the hard part of broccoli and is difficult to digest. It can also cause choking so it’s best to cut them and also steam them.
If you have the time to cook it a bit, then cooked/steamed broccoli is more helpful and easy in digesting. The 2 parts of broccoli carry different advantages and shall be given in appropriate portions.
Can Broccoli hurt my dog?
Clean Broccoli shouldn’t hurt your dog.
It is important to wash the broccoli before giving them to your dog.
Unwashed broccoli may contain a lot of bacteria and pesticides. Feeding with Broccoli is not typically dangerous. Broccoli can cause gas and bloat in your dog. If gas and bloating happen, then just reduce the intake for your dog.
Will steamed broccoli hurt dogs? Can Dogs Eat Broccoli if Steamed?
Broccoli is full of fiber so should not be given often.
Only feeding too much broccoli can cause GI irritation and gas bloating.
Will Broccoli upset a dog’s stomach?
You should treat your dog with only head of broccoli but too much broccoli in the florets can cause:
- Bloating; and,
If your dog eats a significant amount of broccoli, the upsets could become severe or cause significant health problems. In addition, the hard stem may cause blockage too.
Can broccoli make dogs sick? Can Dogs Eat Broccoli when Sick?
Broccoli can cause mild to potentially severe gastric irritation in some dogs.
If your dog takes less than 10% of broccoli in its daily intake it will be considered safe. But more than 25% of its daily intake is toxic.
Scientifically Viewed: Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
Before we call out food good or bad based on some already set traditions or some specific experiences, we need to check:
- How many nutrients does Broccoli contain, and
- Does your dog even require nutrients from Broccoli? If YES, then,
- How much is it good for your dog(depending upon its weight and age)?
Let’s get to know Broccoli and dogs scientifically. This will help us get to know better about our query of Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
Fruit Facts: What Nutrients are Contained in Broccoli? (per 100 g)
Looking at the following Broccoli nutrition table, we notice that Broccoli is rich in Sugars, Carbs, Vitamin C. Fiber, Protein, and Magnesium contain a considerate part.
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary fiber||2 g|
|Vitamin D||0 mg||Calcium||43 mg|
|Iron||1 mg||Potassium||287 mg|
|Phosphorus||24 mg||Energy||146 KJ|
Dogs Nutritional Requirements: Can Dogs Eat Broccoli
View/Download the complete table
Nutritionally, dogs require more proteins and Broccoli is a good combination of Proteins combined with Sugars, Potassium, Phosphorus, Calcium, and Vitamin K in addition to the energy it gives in terms of Carbohydrates and Fats.
So, a simple straight forward answer to:
Can Dogs Eat Broccoli? would be:
YES, definitely yes.
How to Feed a Dog Broccolli?
Broccolis are nutritious and full of helpful vitamins for growth and freshness.
Many families around the world have a tradition to eat broccoli with their food or add them to their salads. Fish is mostly served with broccoli too. So, if you are wondering Can Dogs Eat Broccoli Cooked, or what’s the correct way to feed them?
there are multiple ways you can feed your dog broccoli:
- Raw: You can feed them raw by cutting them into chunks. You need to make sure it’s just 10% of your dog’s full-day diet.
- Cooked: Steamed broccoli makes it easy to eat and digest for your dogs. You can cook it too but light seasoning is the maximum that is recommended.
- Smoothies: You can mix broccoli with other dog-friendly fruits and veggies to make it a delight and a load of nutrition for your dog.
- Salads: You can serve them with some slices of tomatoes, corn, or other veggies too that are safe for your dogs.
Remember to cut the broccoli into small pieces before feeding it to your dog.
Cooked broccoli gives a lower chance of blockage in their intestines which can cause gas and bloat and instead help in digesting it properly.
Why Your Dog Should Not Eat Broccoli?
Raw and in large portions broccoli is not considered safe for feeding to dogs.
If you are thinking can Dogs eat Broccoli that’s raw,
Raw and uncooked broccoli contains fiber which can create gas and bloat in your dog’s stomach. It can cause blockage in the intestines which may upset the tummy.
Health Benefits: Why Your Dog Should Eat Broccoli?
Broccoli is very nutritious for dogs to eat. The nutrients from which dogs can benefit are:
- Vitamin K;
- Calcium; and,
Some other key vitamins and nutrients play an important part too. Let’s get to know what each one is and how it benefits your dog:
- Vitamin K is very good for the bone health of dogs and higher bone density.
- It can be very beneficial for the fast growth of dogs.
- Broccoli is highly beneficial for the eye health of dogs too.
- Broccoli reduces the risk of zinc deficiency. Dogs need certain nutrients to be able to live a healthy life. Zinc deficiencies are common in dogs. Broccoli is full of nutrients that help keep zinc inside the body.
- Broccoli improves the heart health of the dog. Sulforaphane maintains arterial function and prevents heart disease. This ability reduces oxidative stress and inflammation in dogs. The dark green broccoli is loaded with vitamin C and helps dogs battle diseases.
- Cholesterol can slowly build up in your dog very silently. The cholesterol can cause damage as your dog ages. Broccoli helps to stop cholesterol to build up in your dog’s body.
- Among all the health benefits that broccoli provides your dog, this may be the most useful for them. An old dog may have some joint damage after being active for so many years. The same goes for an active dog or working dog breed that is continuously on the move.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of broccoli provide benefits by slowing down the damage to the dog’s joints. The property sulforaphane can help dogs suffering from arthritis by blocking the enzymes that cause joint damage. Moreover, the omega-3 fatty acids in broccoli help the regulation of inflammation.
Broccoli Recipes for Dogs
Now, we already have the answer to Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
That’s of course a Yes, but how to make them a delight for your dog?
1. Cheesy Broccoli Biscuits
6 Key Ingredients:
- 1 cup of Shredded Cheese (Cheddar, Parmesan, Mozarella);
- ½ cup of Butter (Softened);
- 15-ounce bag of frozen Broccoli Florets (thawed/pureed);
- ½ cup of Milk;
- 2 ½ cups of Whole Wheat Flour;
- Shot Glass.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all the ingredients into a bowl and stir it well.
- Shape the dough into a ball and use a roller to flatten it onto a floured surface.
- Use the shot glass to carve dog treat cookies.
- Place the small rounds onto the sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate to cool down.
- Here it goes…..Your dog’s delight is readyyy!
Prep time: 20 minutes;
Cook time: 15 minutes.
Buy these cute popsicles molds NOW!
2. Homemade Broccoli Delight Treat
4 Key Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup broccoli, cooked;
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce;
- 1/2 cup rolled oats;
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pure the broccoli in a blender and then add to a bowl.
- Add the apple sauce, oats, and flour to the broccoli.
- Stir well until everything is mixed well.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and place it on the baking sheet. Flatten with a fork and try to shape in a round shape.
- Do the same with the remaining mixture and fill the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes. They should be golden in color and will be still a little soft in the middle. Let it cool on the sheet.
- Freeze them.
Prep time: 20 minutes;
Cook time: 15 minutes.
3. Another Fun Recipe
Fun Facts: Can Dogs Eat Broccoli
- Broccoli is a vegetable and is a member of the cabbage family.
- Broccoli is commonly green, but some types are white or have a purple tint.
- There are three types of broccoli for consumption.
- Calabrese broccoli;
- Sprouting broccoli;
- Purple cauliflower.
- It can be eaten either raw or cooked. Broccoli is a rich source of vitamins C and K.
- The crop is planted by direct seeding.
- It can take anywhere from 70 to 140 days to mature after planting.
- The crop is typically 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall.
I hope this guide helped you know about can dogs eat Broccoli or not.
The Can Dogs Eat Broccoli? guide contained all the scientific information along with answers to your frequently asked questions and with some really nice recipes and fun facts, pros, and cons about can dogs eat Broccoli.