Yes, bananas are good for dogs in small amounts. Bananas are a good treat for your puppy.
Bananas have low calories and contain a lot of potassium, biotin, Vitamin B6, fiber, and copper.
They are also a great choice because of their low cholesterol and salts but have a high sugar content that can give instant energy should be given in moderate amounts to dogs and not as a main daily diet.
Can Dogs Eat Bananas: How Much Banana Can I Give My Dog?
Bananas should be given to your puppy in very moderate amounts.
You should not give more than two to three pieces to a small dog and not more than half of a banana to an average dog.
It contains a high level of sugar content which can upset a dog’s stomach.
Can Dogs Eat Bananas: Nutritional Value of Bananas
Bananas are very nutritious for your dog’s health. The bananas are potassium-rich food for your puppy.
They contain low calories which are good for dogs. Bananas contain biotin, fiber, Vitamin B6, potassium, and copper. Bananas have a very low amount of cholesterol in them and a very low amount of sodium.
Eating bananas in moderate amounts is good for the health of your pooch.
Can Dogs Eat Bananas: How Are Bananas Good For Dogs?
High fiber contents present in bananas are important to your dog’s digestive system. Fiber can help to resolve intestinal problems like constipation, diarrhea, and some blockages that can occur in dogs.
- Vitamin C helps in boosting the immune system of dogs.
- Potassium plays a vital role in supporting the kidney and heart, keeping the bones healthy and dense, and helping muscle development. In keeping the skin healthy and coat quality biotin plays its role very effectively.
- Vitamin B6 is a very crucial vitamin for the functions of the brain and body. Vitamin B6 takes care of fluid balance, builds proteins, and regulates hormones in your dog’s body.
How are Bananas unhealthy for dogs?
Feeding too many bananas is not recommended because it can upset the dog’s tummy. Bananas contain a sufficient amount of sugar which can be harmful to your puppy. It can cause constipation, diarrhea, and intestinal blockage in dogs.
So, you should keep an eye on your dog’s poop after feeding the banana. Bananas should be given as a treat in small amounts, not as the main diet.
Can My Dog Have Banana Juice?
It is not recommended to feed dogs with banana juice. Fruit juices are not harmful to your dog but it is better to provide them with whole fruits as snacks than to give them fruit juices.
How To Feed Dogs Bananas?
Dogs love bananas but should be an occasional snack and should never be offered in place of a regular meal.
Large dogs can eat ½ of a banana a day, and small dogs should only have two-three small pieces per day.
Can Dogs Eat Bananas Peel?
Banana peels are not harmful to dogs, but they contain a lot of fiber that isn’t as easily digested as the fruit of the banana. Eating the peel could cause blockage in the intestine because the peel may not move through the digestive system.
If such a situation occurs, your dog would need immediate vet attention.
Can Dogs Eat Bananas Chips?
Banana chips are lightweight, have quick energy, and are perfectly safe for your dog. Most commercially available chips will have a high sugar content and preservatives added, so consider dehydrated chips that avoid those ingredients.
3 Precautions You Need To Take Care Of
Don’t feed your dog with an excess amount of bananas.
Feed them with 2-3 small banana pieces.
As bananas are rich in sugar, so they can be harmful to your dog’s tummy. Avoid giving them banana peels. Banana peels can cause blockage in the intestine and put your dog in trouble.
Can Dogs Eat Bananas: Banana recipe for dogs
Apart from banana chips, if you want to surprise your doggo with a treat, here are some ideas:
Banana Bread Treat Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a blender combine the rolled oats and peeled banana. Pulse until combined, but the oats still have some texture.
- Add the eggs and process until completely incorporated.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- The treat is ready for your puppy.
Banana and Honey Dog Treats
- 2 cups water;
- 2 mashed bananas;
- 2 tablespoon honey;
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- 1 egg;
- 4 cups whole wheat flour;
- 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 2 large baking sheets lightly greased.
- Take a large bowl and mix water, mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, and egg in it.
- Stir in whole-wheat flour and baking powder.
- Beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined. 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place the dough onto a smooth surface and knead until no longer sticky.
- Make some mini shapes.
- Place dough shapes on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned, about 15 min.
- Turn off the oven and let cookies dry and crisp for 30 to 40 more minutes.
- After removing the baking sheets from the oven, allow cookies to cool on pans for 10 minutes.
The treat is ready for your puppy.
Can Dogs Eat Bananas: Some Fun facts About Bananas
- Bananas have a total of 89 calories per 100 grams.
- Bananas are part of the berry family.
- Bananas float in water, as do apples and watermelons.
- Rubbing a banana peel on your forehead can help cure a headache.
- Banana fruits are naturally radioactive which makes them unique in the fruit kingdom.
- The scientific name for banana is musasapientum which means “fruit of the wise men.”
- Banana is a good source of K, fiber, vitamin C and vitamin B6, and other oxidants too
- Bananas contain a natural chemical called ‘Serotonin’ which makes people happy
- Bananas are made of 75% water.
- Humans are 50% identical to bananas as they share about half of the same DNA.
- More songs have been written about bananas than any other fruit.
- Bananas that are exported are picked green and ripened in the destination country.