Have you ever wondered “Can Dogs Eat Dates“?
You must have thought about this while making yourself some delicious Date cookies or if you have wondered how you can replace the sugar or honey in some recipe for dog treats.
Dates look like big raisins, but we all know that providing raisins to dogs is not good as it might cause kidney failure in them.
But to clear up any kind of confusion dates are entirely different from raisins.
We have got the answer to your question and much more useful information. Enjoy reading and tell us if you think to do some of the recipes that we have shared.
Can Dogs Eat Dates?
We all know that dates are the best human food that can be added to your dog’s diet. So, the answer to your most asked question “Can Dogs Eat Dates” is:
YES, your dog can have dates in moderation when served properly.
Dates come from South Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa.
Sometimes, your dog can face constipation, stomach ache, and loose stools after consuming dates. And giving too many dates to dogs can result in obesity.
Having date pits can lead to intestinal blockage and choking.
Although dates are cholesterol free they have high sugar content in them which can not prove good if your dog is diabetic. You should also cut dates into smaller pieces to help with your dog’s digestive system.
How To Feed Dates To Dogs?
After getting an answer to “Can Dogs Eat Dates“? Now, the concern is how to feed dates to dogs.
Just feed your dog with half or two dates once or twice a week. Introduce your dog to dates gradually by giving them bite-sized pieces so your dog doesn’t suffer from any allergic reaction or indigestion.
Sticky dates can not prove healthy for your dog. So, dried dates are a good option as they have one of the richest sources of beneficial antioxidant compounds known as polyphenols which also protect against the development of certain cancers and cardiovascular diseases.
Health Benefits: Why Your Dog Should Eat Dates?
Dates are a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin B, magnesium, manganese, potassium, natural sugars, and dietary fiber. The high fiber content present in dogs can improve digestion and vitamins will help to boost your dog’s immune system.
Let’s see the health benefits of Dates for your dog:
Dates contain fiber in large quantities. Fiber helps to regulate bowel movement and helps towards a healthy digestive system so a few dates every week could be very beneficial for the digestive system of your dog. If your dog is forever hungry, fiber will help to keep your dog fuller for a longer time.
But giving your dog too much fiber can also result in stomach aches, so just feed your dog with the appropriate amount of dates.
2. Vitamins & Minerals
As dates contain large amounts of vitamins and minerals that help the dog boost the immune system and fight diseases. A few vitamins that are present in dogs are Folate, Niacin, B6, Vitamin A, and Choline. Minerals such as copper, potassium, calcium, and magnesium are present in dates. Minerals and Vitamins present in dates convert food into energy and also help to repair cellular damage promoting overall wellness.
Dried dates also have the highest amounts of antioxidants among all the dried fruits. Antioxidants fight neurodegenerative and cardiovascular diseases as well as it also helps to improve gastrointestinal health.
3. Other Health Benefits
- Dates are low in cholesterol which helps to maintain the cardiovascular system of your dog as well as potassium helps to stabilize blood pressure.
- Dates also contribute towards strong teeth and healthy bones as they have a high amount of Vitamin D, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- Dates improve learning ability and memory function. So, adding dates to your dog’s diet will help in cognitive ability and brain health.
Are Dates Poisonous For Dogs?
No, dates are not poisonous for dogs. Sometimes, people confuse dates with large raisins as they are poisonous to dogs. Raisins can also cause kidney failure as well as it may even prove fatal.
But you should also not let your dog eat too many dates as they are very sugary. You can also add dates while making any dog treat for giving it a perfectly sweet balance. If your dog is obese or is facing any diabetic issues then you should avoid giving dates to your dog.
Date Recipe For Dogs
Let’s have a look at a homemade date treat that is the perfect treat for your pup. This treat smells amazing and is also a great way to save money. This recipe has no preservatives and is made with simple ingredients as well.
Homemade Date & Oatmeal Dog Treat
Here is a list of ingredients that you need to make a homemade date and oatmeal dog treat. Make sure that you buy all organic ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free all-purpose flour;
- 1/2 cup of instant unsweetened oatmeal;
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder;
- 1 cup of grated carrots;
- 2 tablespoons of pitted and finely chopped dates;
- 1/2 cup of unsalted peanut butter;
- 1/2 cup of water.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and oatmeal in a mixing bowl.
- Put dates and carrots in a separate bowl with water and peanut butter.
- Add peanut butter mixture to the flour mix and stir until combined.
- Flaten the mixture on a floured surface until it is 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, you can cut the treats into the desired shapes.
- Arrange them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes until completely dried.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- You can also store these treats in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Some Facts About Dates
- Dates help to boost the immune system of dogs as they are rich in zinc, iron, vitamin A, and Vitamin C.
- Dates can prove a perfect low-fat treat that won’t block the dog’s arteries in the longer run.
- Dates are a rich source of potassium and help to keep the cardiovascular system healthy in dogs.
- Dates are also rich in Fiber which ultimately helps to keep the dog’s digestive tract healthy.
Dates are safe for dogs if they are in small amounts. Don’t compare them to raisins, dates don’t contain anything toxic.
Dates contain important vitamins and minerals for the immune system of your dog.
Do you give dates to your dog? Or do you give your dog treats that contain dates? Let us know in the comments.
Can dogs eat dates?
The answer is YES.
Will dates harm dogs?
No, dates don’t harm dogs if they are given in moderation.
How many dates can a dog eat?
Dogs can have one or two dates at a time.