Being a pet owner, I always enjoy sharing my food with my dog.
I know all the dog parents love to share whatever they eat with their canine buddies. But before feeding any food, you should know whether it is safe for your dog or not.
Today we will be talking about grapes. Can dogs eat grapes? You must be surprised to find the answer and many more facts that have been mentioned in the guide.
Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
Grapes contain many nutritious benefits but some vegetables and fruits are not acceptable to offer your dog and grapes are at the top of the list.
Grapes can be very toxic and even cause your dog kidney failure.
Even consuming one grape can be fatal. If your dog has ingested grapes, you should immediately contact your veterinarian or get the dog to the nearest clinic if possible.
Why Are Grapes Toxic For Dogs?
There is still no straightforward answer to this question as the toxic substance in grapes is unknown.
Grapes contain flavonoids, tannins, and monosaccharides that can not be metabolized by dogs. This could be one of the reasons for grape toxicity in dogs. Moreover, researches also show that grapes contain an aspirin-like compound called salicylate that can make your dog sick.
Always make sure to keep grapes out of the reach of your pouch as they can suffer from different health conditions even kidney failure which can prove fatal.
Signs of Grape Toxicity In Dogs
As we already know that even consuming one grape can be fatal for your dog and if your dog had a few grapes you can check for these symptoms immediately.
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy and weakness
- Increased thirst of urine production
- Difficulty in breathing
- Kidney failure
Can Dogs Have Grape Juice?
Grape juice is toxic for dogs as it is a direct product of grapes. This also applies to all the cooked products that contain grapes or raisins.
Any type of grape-containing product can be dangerous for your dog.
- Grape juice
- Raisins bread
- Baked products containing currants or grapes.
Related Guide: Can Dogs Eat Raisins?
What Can You Do If Your Dog Ate Grapes?
If your dog ate grapes, the first thing you should do is to contact your vet but also go to the nearest pet clinic. Symptoms can be severe if you don’t take any fast action. The vet can help to prevent any toxicosis symptoms if your dog had a maximum of a few grapes.
If your dog shows any of the grape toxicity signs like difficulty in breathing, you can also induce vomiting at home but it’s better than the vet should do it in the clinic. That is one of the ways to take the toxins out of your pup’s body.
Make sure not to induce vomiting at home without the permission of the vet as it can cause choking which can be life-threatening.
Diagnosis of Grapes Toxicosis
Proper diagnosis of grape toxicosis should be performed by a vet in the clinic as a few different types of treatments are involved. It should not be done at home as it can be life-threatening for your dog. Different types of diagnosis are performed for every case of grape toxicosis.
Activated Charcoal Treatment
Depending upon the health condition and how rapidly toxicosis has spread in your dog’s body treatments will be done. GI tract contamination is done to get out all the toxins from the body.
If you brought the dog soon, vets can use activated charcoal. This mostly happened in mild cases if only a few grapes have been consumed.
Apomorphine is also used by vets in severe cases is actually an injectable medicine. It is mostly used to induce vomiting.
IV Fluid Diuresis
This treatment is used to prevent kidney failure and is also used by vets before your dog shows any signs of kidney failure as preventive measures. But if your dog’s kidney has stopped working, then there are very less chances for a dog to survive.
Blood and Urine Tests
Blood and urine tests are performed by vets to check if dog kidneys are working properly or not. This treatment is properly monitored to see if there is kidney failure or renal failure.
How To Prevent Dogs From Eating Grapes?
As we know that grapes or grapes-containing products are harmful to dogs, so the best way is to avoid exposure to grapes.
- Make sure not to leave the containers of grapes open.
- Dogs should always be kept away from dumpsters that contain spoiled grapes.
- If your house garden has currant bushes, don’t let your dog roam in that particular area.
Chances of Dog Survival
Dog survival depends on a few factors that include:
- Grapes quantity that was consumed by your dog.
- How fast the treatment was started.
- If there are any symptoms of kidney failure.
- If there was kidney failure.
- If there was any improvement after treatment.
Interesting Facts About Grapes
- It takes about 2.5 pounds of grapes to make one bottle of wine.
- There are more than 8000 types of grapes.
- Grapes are actually berries.
- Grapes have been around for 65 million years.
- One serving of grapes provides 27% of your daily vitamin C.
- The United States is the largest grape importer.
- Grapes have also been used for medicinal purposes.
Grapes and raisins are harmful to dogs and even consuming one grape can be fatal for your dog. Grapes contain flavonoids, tannins, and monosaccharides that can not be metabolized by dogs. Always make sure to keep grapes out of the reach of your pouch as they can suffer from different health conditions even kidney failure which can prove fatal.
Can dogs eat grapes?
No, dogs can not eat grapes as they are extremely harmful to them.
Will my dog live if he eats grapes?
It depends upon a few factors like the grape quantity that was consumed by dogs and treatment.
Did you find ‘Can Dogs Eat Grapes’ interesting? Check out our other articles to find which food is safe for your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Pears? Benefits and Risks