Can dogs eat kiwi?
If you are a dog owner, this question might have come across your mind a few times by now.
As we know kiwi is a sweet fruit that tastes good and provides an abundance of nutritious benefits.
But let’s see if you can feed this nutritious fruit to your pup.
Can Dogs Eat Kiwi?
So, back to the question of the day.
Can dogs eat kiwi?
While it may seem a very straightforward answer as to whether you can feed your dog with kiwi, it can get a little tricky.
The short answer to your question is YES, you can feed your dog with kiwi however before feeding you should keep a few things in your mind.
Let’s see how kiwi must be fed to your canine friend.
Is It Safe For Dogs To Eat Kiwi?
Yes, kiwis are a safe fruit option for your dog but it is always better to remove the skin and seeds before feeding it. If you are feeding this fruit for the first time to your furry buddy, then introduce it slowly and always keep an eye while giving it to check for any allergic reactions.
Always make sure to cut the kiwi into small pieces and feed your dogs small amounts at a time to prevent any choking hazards. Moderation is the key while giving kiwi to your dog as too much of it can lead to stomach upset. Feeding too much of it can also lead to canine obesity which is not good for the dog.
Feed Peeled Kiwis To Your Dog
You should always peel the kiwis before feeding them to your dog as they can pose a choking risk for small dogs. There is also a possibility of digestive tract blockage which can cause severe health issues. As the skin is difficult to digest it can lead to gastrointestinal problems.
Related Guide: Can Dogs Eat Apples? Are Apples Safe for Dogs?
Health Benefits Of Kiwi For Dog
Being a dog owner I am always concerned about the health benefits of the food I give to my furry buddy. Let’s see the nutritional benefits dogs can gain from kiwi.
- Boosts immune system: The antioxidants in kiwi help boost the immune system of dogs and protect dogs’ cells from free radicals.
- Improve muscle growth: The vitamins and minerals present in the fruit maintain bone strength and improves muscle growth.
- Regulates digestive system: The high fiber content will help to control your dog’s digestive system.
Can Dogs Eat Kiwi: How To Feed Kiwi To Your Dog?
If you want to feed kiwi to your dog wash the kiwi properly and remove the skin. Cut the kiwi into small bite-sized pieces to prevent a choking hazard.
You can serve kiwi to your dog as a special treat but try not to make it part of their regular diet. You can also combine it with healthy frozen fruit to keep them cool on hot days.
We have some amazing kiwi recipes for your doggo. You can try them and treat your furry friend to these recipes.
Kiwi Frozen Dog Treat
- Put kiwi, peaches, and coconut water in a food blender and make the puree.
- Pour the puree into the ice cube tray.
- Freeze the treats for eight hours and allow them to be fully set.
- Put warm water around the mold to remove it.
Kiwi & Beef Dog Treat
- 1 pound beef steak;
- 2 tbsp of cilantro leaves;
- 2 chopped kiwis;
- 2 cups of water.
- Put kiwi and cilantro in a food blender to make a puree.
- Cut the beef steak into beef strips and marinate it in kiwi puree for at least one hour.
- Place the strips on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven for about 2 hours until the meat is completely dry.
Can Dogs Eat Gold Kiwi?
Gold kiwis are almost the same as regular green kiwis but they have a sweeter taste and different color. Dogs can have gold kiwis as they have the same nutritional benefits and are perfectly safe for your pouch.
Can Dogs Eat Kiwi Berries?
Kiwi Berries are similar to kiwis and are safe for dogs to eat but make sure not to feed the whole berry to prevent any choking hazard.
Health Risks of Kiwi For Your Dog
The answer to ‘Can dogs eat kiwi’ is yes, but it might pose a few health hazards. Here are a few risks of feeding kiwi to your dog.
- Obesity: The high sugar content in kiwis can lead to various health problems including obesity so avoid feeding this fruit regularly to your dog.
- Choking hazard: Always make sure to cut kiwi into bite-sized pieces to prevent a choking hazard. Small slices will help in easy digestion, especially for small dogs.
- Constipation: If you do not peel kiwi skin, it can cause intestinal blockage or constipation in dogs. It can also make the health condition worst like the impaction of the colon.
Fun Facts About Kiwi
- It has twice the vitamin C of an orange.
- Kiwis can be used as a natural meat tenderizer.
- Kiwi fruit was first grown in China and was known by the name ‘Yang Tao’.
- It helps to improve the function of the immune system.
- Kiwi fruit is the most nutrient-dense fruit.
- Kiwis were also called Chinese Gooseberries.
- In the 1980s, New Zealand developed a gold version of the kiwi fruit.
Yes, kiwis are a safe fruit option for your dog but it is always better to remove the skin and seeds before feeding it. If you are feeding this fruit for the first time to your furry buddy, then introduce them slowly and always keep an eye while giving them to check for any allergic reactions.
Always make sure to cut kiwi into bite-sized pieces to prevent a choking hazard. Small pieces will help in easy digestion, especially for small dogs.
Can dogs eat kiwi?
Yes, dogs can eat kiwi.
Can dogs have kiwi without the seeds?
Kiwis are safe fruit for dogs but it’s better if you remove the skin and seeds before feeding them to your pup.
Is kiwi good for a dog’s sleep?
In some research, it is found that kiwi can improve sleep.
Can dogs be allergic to kiwi?
Kiwi is edible but it can be toxic to dogs if they ingest them in large quantities.
Did you find ‘Can dogs eat kiwi’ interesting? You can also check out our other articles as well.