I love cheesecake sundaes. Actually, I just had it yesterday and gave it to my doggo too.
Silly me thought later if cheesecake is safe for my dog because this hungry friend of mine ate all I gave in seconds.
You might have similar thoughts, especially around holidays, your birthday, or the birthday of your dog, you always have the urge to give them sweet treats.
In this article, you can find more information on the question: “Can dogs eat cheesecake?” and when it should be avoided.
Can Dogs Eat Cheesecake: Is It Safe for Dogs?
Cheesecake is a sweet treat that can be baked or not.
Although we, people, love cheesecakes we know it’s not good to have more than one piece and not often.
So, dogs can have a bite or two of cheesecake, a maximum of a slice of cheesecake. But before you give cheesecake to your dogs consider some things.
Cheesecake is full of bad ingredients for dogs. First of all, sugar levels are so high.
Why Didn’t I think of it earlier??? Atleast, we all know NOWW!
Then, xylitol is a bad ingredient that can poison your dog.
Cream cheese – so much fat that it can be challenging for the metabolism of dogs.
So, it’s safe for dogs to have a bite of cheesecake if they don’t have problems with teeth or pancreatitis.
Can Dogs Eat Cheesecake: Dangerous Ingredients
- Xylitol – Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol that is okay for humans but not for dogs. They can get poisoned by it.
- Sugar – The dog’s stomach can’t digest the sugar in the right way and it can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, and weight gain.
- Chocolate – Totally no! This product must be skipped in any treatment that you give to your puppy. Chocolate has the ingredient theobromine which is really bad for dogs’ health.
- Cream cheese – Cream cheese contains so much fat and a high level of fat in long term can cause strained joints and pancreatitis.
- Toppings – Toppings contain sugar, artificial flavorings, and xylitol and some also contain peanut butter.
- Crackers – Crackers again include xylitol.
Can Dogs Eat Cheesecake: When We Can’t Give Cheesecake to Our Dog
If your dog is lactose intolerant, diabetic, or overweight then you mustn’t give cheesecake to them.
Avoid giving them anything high in sugar and dairy.
Can Dogs Eat Cheesecake: Nutrition Facts
One piece of cheesecake(125g) has around 400kcal. So, even a piece of cheesecake is so much for dogs.
Total fat is 28g from which saturated fat is 12g.
Sodium is 548mg. Potassium 113mg. Sugars 27g.
Be very careful with the amount. Make sure your dog is in the best health.
Can Dogs Eat Cheesecake: Recipes
Dog cheesecake treats
- 3/4 cup rolled oats;
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut;
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil;
- 1 large egg;
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon;
- 1/2 teaspoon honey.
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese;
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt;
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract;
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light coconut milk;
- 1 egg;
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a mini-muffin pan with 20 tins.
- Mix all the crust ingredients. Divide the crust between tins and tamp it down.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- Process the cottage cheese in a food processor (or with a mixer) until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cooked crusts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cakes start to brown and pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Steamed Cheesecake Recipe
Here is a recipe that is much healthier for dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Cheesecake: Interesting Facts For Cheesecake
- The biggest cheesecake ever made was over 4,000kg!
- National Cheesecake Day is on the 30th of July.
- Cheesecakes supposedly originated in ancient Greece and were even served to athletes at the first Olympic Games.
- Savory smoked salmon cheesecake is made in Scotland.
- Despite the name, cheesecake isn’t actually a cake.
Can dogs eat chocolate cheesecake?
No, dogs mustn’t eat chocolate.
Can dogs eat strawberry cheesecake?
Yes, dogs can eat strawberry cheesecake. Strawberry contains vitamin C which is good for dogs.
Can dogs eat more than one piece of cheesecake?
No, dogs can’t eat too much sugar and fats. We don’t want our four-legged friends to feel bad.