As a person who loves to eat nuts, I enjoy eating hazelnuts. My love for hazelnuts started in my childhood as we had a hazel tree in our garden and during autumn I loved to collect them and eat them.
Now unfortunately we don’t have a hazel tree but this doesn’t stop my love for hazelnuts. One day while I was having a few hazelnuts I was wondering if it is okay to give one hazelnut to my dog. But as you know not every type of nut is safe for dogs. Many vets even advise the safe types to be avoided.
So let’s see what is the answer to the question: “Can dogs eat hazelnuts?”.
Can Dogs Eat Hazelnuts?
Hazelnuts are the fruits of the hazel tree. Harvested annually in mid-autumn and usually, the nuts are waited to drop on their own.
Although hazelnuts aren’t toxic, dogs should avoid them.
Hazelnuts aren’t toxic as walnuts or macadamia nuts but their size is worrying. Large dogs won’t even chew them and this can lead to intestinal blockage and choking hazards. Small dogs and puppies will chew them but again there is a big chance of choking.
If you found that your dog had large quantities of hazelnuts contact your vet as this can lead to pancreatitis.
When Hazelnuts Are Good For Dogs?
Hazelnuts from the nutritional side are very good for dogs as they contain a lot of protein and certain essential fatty acids which in combination are great for shiny and healthy coats and can improve joint health. Hazelnuts are rich in Vitamin E, too.
As I have already mentioned hazelnuts aren’t toxic.
When Hazelnuts Are Bad For Dogs?
One of the biggest issues with hazelnuts is their fat content. Every type of nut is high in fats and that makes it a bad idea for dog treats. Too much extra fat can lead to obesity and pancreatitis.
Yes, extra fat because in dog food there is already the amount your dog needs and it’s not good if dogs get extra. Also, if you give any treats to dogs they shouldn’t be more than 10% of the daily calorie intake.
Now, it’s time to see the biggest concern of restricting our dogs from eating hazelnuts. Hazelnuts can cause internal blockage when not chewed properly or they can become a choking hazard. If you want to know what are the signs of intestinal blockage, check down below.
Risks of Eating Hazelnuts By Dogs
As you already got to know there are many risks of giving your doggo hazelnuts as a treat. But let’s see them in more detail:
- High-fat content: If dogs get large amounts of hazelnuts due to the high-fat content they can gain weight or get acute pancreatitis.
- Choking hazards: Because of their size, it’s a huge problem for small and large dogs.
- Constipation: If a dog doesn’t chew the hazelnut and swallows it, then it can cause intestinal obstruction. If your dog gets the whole hazelnut even with the shell, it won’t be able to digest it and can cause constipation.
- Digestive problems: Hazelnuts can cause an upset stomach.
Signs of Intestinal Obstruction
Intestinal obstruction or intestinal blockage can cause:
- difficulty breathing
- abdominal pain
- loss of appetite
If you notice any of these signs you should immediately call your vet as it can lead to some serious consequences. To remove the hazelnut that is causing the intestinal blockage your vet may suggest surgical intervention as this is the only way when they can be sure that everything is out.
What to Do If My Dog Ate Hazelnuts?
If your dog managed to consume 1-2 hazelnuts there will be no risk of obesity or pancreatitis but the risk of intestinal obstruction is still there. You can contact your vet immediately but usually, they will make you wait for any of the signs above.
But if you find your dog with a package and you aren’t sure how much was eaten but seems a lot, then you should immediately contact your vet as large amounts of fats can cause inflammation of the pancreas.
Interesting Facts About Hazelnuts
- Turkey is the largest producer of hazelnuts in the world with approximately 75% of worldwide production.
- The hazelnut became Oregon’s official State Nut in 1989.
- June 1st is National Hazelnut Cake Day.
- The hazelnut is unique in that it blooms and pollinates in the middle of winter.
- Greek physicians would recommend crushed hazelnuts to cure coughs and the common cold.
Let’s Wrap Up
Dogs shouldn’t eat hazelnuts because they can lead to pancreatitis and obesity but also there is a high risk of choking hazards and intestinal obstruction. There are many safe fruits and veggies that you can give your dog instead of hazelnuts.
Can dogs eat hazelnuts safely?
Dogs can eat hazelnuts as they are not toxic but it’s better if they avoid them as they can cause intestinal obstruction.
Can dogs eat hazelnuts with shells?
No, dogs shouldn’t eat any nutshells because they can’t be digested and that can lead to intestinal blockage.
Can dogs eat hazelnut spread?
Dogs shouldn’t eat hazelnut spread as it contains a cocoa powder which is toxic to dogs because of one of the main ingredients – theobromine.
Did you find ‘Can dogs eat kiwi’ interesting? You can also check out our other articles as well.