Do you love eating a lot of apricots in the summer? I love apricots!!!
Thankfully, the answer to ‘Can dogs eat Apricots?’ is a yes.
Apricots are a natural and nutritious snack and we owners are happy to offer them to our furry friends as a sweet treat.
But you need to make sure that your dog doesn’t eat the stem or the hardstone inside the fruit.
There are a few things to keep in mind before feeding apricots to your dog.
Let’s take a look at what those are.
Can Dogs Eat Apricots?
Yes, dogs can eat apricots but in moderation.
Apricots offer various health benefits for your dogs including lowered blood pressure and improved digestion.
However, being a dog owner you should always remove the hardstone and stem before feeding apricots to your pet.
Fruits have a lot of sugar and fiber that’s why if you will overfeed your dog with apricots, it will upset your pooch’s stomach and can give them diarrhea.
Can Dogs Eat Apricots: Dried Apricots
You can offer your dog dried apricots because they are usually de-stoned. Just to double-check you can cut it in half though and prevent your dog from gulping it down in one.
Dried apricots contain more nutrients than fresh fruit that’s why it needs to be fed in smaller amount. Your pet can eat more dried apricots as they are smaller in size and can end up consuming an unhealthy amount of sugar.
You can also check the label if there are added sugars or other additives that are not good for your pooch. Being a dog parent you should always avoid mixed dried fruits with apricots as they contain raisins, sultanas, and currants which are highly toxic for your pup.
Can Dogs Eat Apricot Jam?
Apricot jam contains high sugar content that is not healthy for your dog. It can make your dog hyperactive and can also lead to diabetes if dogs eat apricot jam regularly. You should also avoid giving sugar-free jam as they are also toxic and contains xylitol in trace amounts.
Can I Give Apricot Yogurt To My Dog?
Before feeding apricot yogurt, check the label to make sure that there are no harmful ingredients or artificial flavors.
Once you are sure that apricot yogurt contains real fruit pieces and does not have any toxic ingredients, then you can feed your dog apricot yogurt as a sweet treat in small quantities. But I will prefer to give dried or fresh apricots to your dog as I do to my furry friend.
Health Benefits of Feeding Apricots To Dogs
Being a dog owner I am always looking to give fruits to my dog that are packed with nutrients and has maximum health benefits and I am sure every dog parent is having the same concern.
Let’s see what nutritional value will our dogs get after having apricots.
- Rich in vitamins: Apricots contain Vitamin C which helps in bone development and Vitamin A which strengthens the immune system and skin health.
- Cholesterol regulation: The soluble fiber and potassium in apricots will help to lower your dog’s cholesterol.
- Anti-oxidants rich: Apricots contain beta carotene that helps your dog against free radical damage and cell oxidation. It is also helpful for dogs’ eyesight.
- Relieving constipation: The dietary fiber in apricot helps to maintain regular bowel movements and relieve constipation.
How Can I Safely Feed Apricot To My Dog?
If you want to feed apricot to your dog safely, you need to follow these precautions.
- Consult your vet: Whenever you plan to add human food to your pup’s diet, consult your vet for safety advice.
- Check for preservatives and added sugars: You should always check the nutritional label before serving dried apricots to your dog as it contains added sugars. Sometimes sugar-free apricot jam also contains harmful artificial sweeteners which are unhealthy for your dog.
- Remove the pit, leaves, and stem: Before feeding the apricot to your dog, make sure to remove leaves, stems, and pit as they contain the harmful chemical cyanide.
- Cut into small pieces: You should cut the apricot into small pieces before feeding them to your dog. It will help in digestion and will make the fruit easy to swallow.
- Moderation is the key: Always serve apricot in moderation and think of them as an occasional treat for your pet.
Can Dogs Eat Apricots: Easy Apricot Recipe For Dogs
Dogs can eat apricots not just as a snack but also in the form of flavourful, cooked snacks. You can also use a technique of baking to make your pup enjoy a sweet treat once in a while.
We have got you the easy recipe on how to do so.
Apricot Muffin Dog Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots;
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour;
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder;
- 1 cup organic almond milk;
- 1 egg;
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter.
- Add dried apricots, baking powder, and coconut flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add vanilla extract, egg, peanut butter, and almond milk to the mixture.
- Blend the batter until it is thick.
- Put the batter in a muffin pan.
- Bake the batter for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the muffins cool.
- Now, you can serve muffins to your pup.
Risks of Feeding Apricots To Your Dog
You should know about potential risks before feeding apricots to your dog:
- Choking Hazard: Apricots can cause a choking hazard,s especially in small dogs as they have large pits. If your dog swallows an apricot pit it can cause intestinal blockage in your dog’s digestive system.
- Digestion problems: If you overfeed your dog with apricots, it can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems.
- Cyanide poisoning: Apricot pits, stems, and leaves contain a trace amount of cyanide that is harmful to your dog. So, make sure to remove them before feeding apricots to your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Apricots: Fun Facts About Apricots
Apricots are an amazing fruit. Not only are they a quick, fruity snack but also offer many health benefits. But just in case you’re curious, there are also a few fun facts about them that we thought you might like to hear about:
- Apricot trees produce fruit for 20-25 years generally.
- Apricots are packed with Vitamin A, which helps in improving eyesight.
- Apricots do not contain cholesterol, sodium, or saturated fats.
- National Apricot Day is celebrated on January 9th.
- Apricots are related to peaches, plums, and almonds.
Dogs can eat apricot but make sure that you remove the leaves, pits, and stem before it to your pup. They can serve as a naturally sweet treat with a boost of vitamins and other nutrients that are beneficial for your dog’s health. Always serve apricot in moderation and think of them as an occasional treat for your pet.
Can dogs eat apricots?
Yes, dogs can eat apricots but in moderation.
Why are apricots good for dogs?
Apricots contain Vitamin C which helps in bone development and Vitamin A which strengthens the immune system and skin health.
How many apricots can a dog have?
Apricots should not make up more than ten percent of your dog’s diet.
I hope you like the article ‘Can dogs eat apricots?’. You can also check out our other articles to know which type of food your dog can have.