Basil is by far my favorite herb in the world and I use it often while making delicious kinds of pasta, smoothies, and salads.
Every dog lover who loves basil like me wants to add this nutritious herb to their furry friend’s diet.
But Can Dogs Eat Basil?
Yes, you can feed basil to your dog in moderation as it is paw-fectly safe for your canine friend.
In this guide, I have shared everything about basil that you need to know before feeding it to your pouch.
What Is Basil? Can Dogs Eat Basil?
Before answering your question in detail Can Dogs Eat Basil? let’s first tell you about what basil plants are.
Basil is a common herb used to make and garnish your favorite pesto pasta often paired with parmesan, garlic, cheese, and pine nuts. It’s a tender plant native to warmer, tropical regions with various varieties.
Basil is a safe herb and can be given to dogs in both fresh and dried form. But it is important to feed this herb in moderation as an excess of everything is bad. If you are giving basil to your dog for the first time, do it slowly and in small amounts.
What Types of Basil Can Dogs Eat?
Fresh basil and dried basil are also important to consider.
Wondering what type of basil is safe for your dog?
Thankfully, all these varieties are safe for consumption and both raw and cooked basil are okay as long as you are not feeding it with any other herbs or spices.
Health Benefits of Basil For Your Dog
Some of the health benefits of adding basil to your dog’s food are:
- Blood sugar control: Basil can have beneficial effects on regulating blood sugar. It can be helpful if your dog has been diagnosed with health issues like diabetes or high blood sugar level.
- Helps prevent cancer: Basil contains a high amount of antioxidants and helps prevent cell damage. These antioxidants also help to destroy free radicals that can harm the cells inside the cells.
- Reduces inflammation: Basil has anti-inflammatory properties that help dogs with certain conditions such as arthritis or even joint pain.
- Digestive aid: Basil contains eugenol which helps with a healthy digestive system. If you feed your dog small amounts of basil it helps to alleviate an upset stomach.
- Helps with anxiety: Basil has a calming effect that helps your dog with anxiety. If your dog suffers from anxiety you can give your dog a small amount of basil to calm it down.
Can Dogs Eat Basil Pesto?
Basil pesto is a sauce that is made from basil and other ingredients that can be eaten with pasta or bread. You can feed your dog with basil pesto if it’s made from dog-safe ingredients.
But make sure not to buy store-bought pesto as they contain many other ingredients such as garlic which is not good for your dog.
Can Dogs Have Basil In Tomato Sauce?
You can feed your dog with plain tomato sauce without any added seasoning. If you have a simple sauce, then you can add dried basil or even fresh basil to it.
How Can I Feed Basil To My Dog?
If you have decided to incorporate basil into your dog’s food, you can follow these tips to feed basil safely to your dog.
- Introduce it slowly and in small amounts.
- Your dog can have an allergic reaction so observe your pouch while having basil.
- Don’t overfeed your dog with basil.
- Moderation is the key when it comes to feeding your dog with basil.
Other Herbs That Are Safe For Your Dog
Some of the other herbs that you can safely feed your dog are:
Side Effects of Over-Feeding Basil To Your Dog
There are a few side effects of overfeeding basil to your dog:
- Allergic reaction: If you have overfed your dog with basil, there is a chance of any allergic reaction like itchy skin, vomiting, or diarrhea. If you notice any of these allergic reactions, take your dog to the vet immediately.
- Loose stool: Your dogs can experience loose stool after having basil in excess. Basil contains fiber that can make a dog’s digestive system hyper-motile. So, always keep an eye while feeding your dog this herb.
Can Dogs Eat Basil: Recipe Guide
We have got you some easy basil recipes full of healthy ingredients that will benefit your furry friend.
Basil & Oregano Carrot Treat
- 1 tbsp of dried basil;
- 1 tbsp of dried oregano;
- 1 egg;
- 120 ml of water;
- 1 peeled carrot;
- 300g of whole wheat;
- Mix flour, oregano, and dried basil together in a mixing bowl.
- Take another bowl and whisk the egg with water.
- Combine dry mixture with wet mixture.
- Stir together until a firm mixture is formed.
- Knead the dough into balls and roll on the floured surface.
- Cut them into desired shapes and place them on a baking tray.
- Add carrots on top of the cookies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
- Cool before serving.
Sweet Potato & Basil Dog Biscuits
- 1 tbsp of crushed basil;
- 1 beaten egg;
- 1/2 cup of cold water;
- 1 tbsp of honey;
- 1/3 cup of organic coconut oil;
- 1 chopped sweet potato;
- 2 cups of brown rice flour.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together.
- Now make a dough, roll it into small 1-inch balls, and flatten with your hand.
- Place them on the baking tray and bake for 35 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cool.
- Now you can serve them.
Interesting Facts About Basil
- Basil is native to India but is often associated with Italy because of its food.
- Making basil tea will help in digestion.
- Fresh basil looks vibrant. It should have a deep green color and should be free from spots or yellowing.
- Sweet basil also called Genoese basil is best for making pestos and salads.
- Lime basil has a lime flavor and is also great in salads and sea foods.
Basil is a safe herb and can be given to them in both fresh and dried form. But it is important to feed this herb in moderation as an excess of everything is bad. If you are giving basil to your dog for the first time, do it slowly and in small amounts.
If you have overfed your dog with basil, there is a chance of any allergic reaction like itchy skin, vomiting, or diarrhea. So, don’t overfeed basil to your dog.
Have you given basil to your dog? Did your dog like it? Did you notice any side effects or everything was fine? Share with us the answers to these questions in the comments below.
Can dogs eat basil?
Yes, dogs can eat basil but in moderation.
Can dogs have dry basil?
Yes, you can feed your dog with dry basil by adding it to your dog’s meal.
How much basil can a dog have?
Most dogs can have a teaspoon or two of basil per serving.
We hope you liked the article ‘Can Dogs Eat Basil’. You can also check out our other articles to know which kind of food is best for your dog.