Sunflowers seeds are nutty and delicious treats filled with nutrients for humans.
But all dog lovers who enjoy these seeds must have concerns about Can Dogs Eat Sunflower Seeds. About the health benefits of sunflower seeds and which type of sunflower seeds are the best for your dog.
All your concerns have been answered in this guide.
Can Dogs Eat Sunflower Seeds? Is It Safe?
Yes, you can feed your dog with sunflower seeds as they are a rich source of vitamins, healthy fats, and antioxidants.
But it is safe to feed the kernels of unsalted sunflower seeds in moderation. You should also remove the outer shell as it can cause intestinal or throat blockage in your dog.
Moderation is the key when feeding sunflower seeds to your pup as the excess of it can cause an upset stomach or vomiting in your pouch. Unsalted sunflower seeds are the best option when feeding because the salted ones can raise your dog’s cholesterol level and risk various heart diseases.
Health Benefits of Feeding Sunflower Seeds To Your Dog
I love to feed my dog sunflower seeds once in a while as it has various health benefits. I have listed a few of them here for all the dog parents. Let’s have a look at them.
- Improves dog’s coat and skin: Sunflower seeds help to improve your dog’s coat and skin as they are a rich source of fatty acids. These fats are free from saturated or bad fats as they are natural and healthy and help your dog with a healthy and shiny coat.
- Protects from harmful oxygen-free radicals: The vitamin E present in seeds helps to protect dogs’ skin from harmful oxygen-free radicals. It is also essential for the creation of membranes and the respiration of cells.
- Relieves stress and depression in dogs: The magnesium present in seeds produces a calming effect in dogs who experience anxiety. The vitamins niacin and pyridoxine help with brain activity and reduces neurosis.
- Lowers blood pressure: The beneficial fatty acids help to lower blood pressure and also promote good cholesterol. It also helps in the formation of a fast metabolism.
- Promotes overall body health: Sunflower seeds promote healthy bone growth, hemoglobin and hormone production, and reproduction, and strengthen the immune system.
How To Safely Feed Sunflower Seeds To Dogs?
I know after reading about all the benefits of sunflower seeds, you might be wondering how can you safely feed them to your dog. You can follow these tips to feed sunflower seeds to your dog as a treat.
- Always buy unsalted seeds: Always try to buy unsalted sunflower seeds for your dog as salted ones can lead to high blood pressure and other side effects on your dog’s health.
- Avoid any seasoning: It is best to serve plain seeds in your pouch as artificial flavors, or any seasoning can upset your dog’s stomach.
- Remove seed shells: Make sure to remove seed shells as they are hard and can pose a choking hazard for your dog. So, dog owners should always give sunflower kernels to their pets.
- Feed in moderation: You should always feed small amounts of sunflower seeds to your dog as feeding excess amounts can cause health issues. So, moderation is the key when feeding seeds.
- Monitor any reaction: Try to monitor your dogs’ behavior while serving your dog with seeds.
Grounded Sunflower Seeds Are A Better Option?
If you want to prevent any choking hazards, you can also feed your dog with grounded sunflower seeds. You can grind the seeds in a coffee grinder, blender, or food processor. Grinding sunflower seeds also makes it easier to add them to your pouch food for added flavor.
Can My Dog Have Sunflower Oil?
Sunflower oil is not dangerous for your dog but it’s better to avoid them. It is high in calories and can create health issues for your dogs such as weight gain and heart disease. It is best to keep it on a no-list for your dog unless your vet has recommended sunflower oil as a supplement to your pup’s diet.
Can My Dog Have Sunflower Butter?
If your want to give sunflower butter to your pouch as a treat once in a while, then it is a safe alternative to peanut butter. It can be consumed by dogs in small quantities as it is high in calories, so it should only be given as a special treat.
Can Dogs Eat Sunflower Seed Shells?
Sunflower seed shells are not a good option when feeding your dog with seeds. It can pose a choking hazard as dogs are unable to digest shelled seeds and can cause gastrointestinal blockage or obstruction. So, it’s better to give unsalted sunflower seeds without shells.
Risks of Feeding Sunflower Seeds To Your Dog
Besides the benefits, there are a few risks of feeding sunflower seeds to your dog. Always try to feed your dog with plain and unsalted seeds as the packaged and salted ones can cause salt toxicosis which can cause muscle tremors, weakness, and gastroenteritis.
Don’t allow your dog to consume seed shells as they are extremely hard and can’t be broken down during digestion. It can get stuck and can cause intestinal blockage. Moreover, If your dog will have an excess amount of these seeds it can result in gastrointestinal upset and irritation.
Can Dogs Eat Sunflower Seeds: Recipe Guide
We have got you some easy and healthy recipes for your dog which you can try using sunflower seeds.
Sunflower Seeds and Carrots Biscuits
- 1/2 cup of ground toasted sunflower seeds;
- 1/2 cup of flour;
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour;
- 1/4 cup of chickpea flour;
- 1 tbsp of ground flaxseeds;
- 1/4 cup of grated carrots;
- 1/4 tbsp of salt;
- 1 large egg;
- 2 tbsp of milk;
- 2 tbsp of black molasses;
- 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a ball shape and put it on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut them into desired shapes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Sunflower Seeds Dog Treat
- 1/2 cup of shelled sunflower seeds;
- 1 cup of rye flour;
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats;
- 1 cup of wheat flour;
- 1 tbsp of flax seed;
- 1 tbsp of wheat germ;
- 1 tbsp of yeast;
- 1/2 cup of homemade peanut butter;
- 1 egg;
- 1 cup of warm water.
- Take a large bowl and put all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Now in another bowl mix wet ingredients together.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and make a dough form out of it.
- Place on floured surface and roll to about 3/8 thickness.
- Cut it into desired shapes and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Fun Facts About Sunflowers
- Sunflower seeds can lower cholesterol levels.
- Sunflowers can be processed into sunflower butter.
- There are thousands of tiny flowers that create sunflower heads.
- The tallest sunflower is over thirty feet.
- Sunflowers can self-pollinate.
Sunflower seeds are a rich source of vitamins, healthy fats, and antioxidants. But it is safe to feed the kernels of unsalted sunflower seeds in moderation.
You should always feed small amounts of sunflower seeds to your dog as feeding excess amounts can cause health issues. Don’t allow your dog to consume seed shells as they are extremely hard and can’t be broken down during digestion.
Have you given your dog sunflower seeds? Will you give them now after you know the benefits? But don’t forget that you should be always careful.
Can dogs eat sunflower seeds?
Yes, dogs can have sunflower seeds but in small quantities.
Can dogs eat salted sunflower seeds?
Always try to feed your dog with plain and unsalted seeds as the packaged and salted ones can cause salt toxicosis which can cause muscle tremors, weakness, and gastroenteritis.
We hope you like the article ‘Can dogs eat sunflower seeds?’ You can also check out other articles to know which kind of food is best for your dog.